The Berber village on djebel Takrouna in Tunisia, 2014.
In May 2014 descendants of 28 Maori Battalion men visited places their ancestors fought, lived and in some cases died in Tunisia, Italy, Greece and Crete.
19-21 April 1943 - action at Takrouna.
Haane Manahi received the DCM for his actions here and many other men from the Battalion received medals.
116 men from the Maori Battalion were killed or wounded. Many more names to be added and men to be remembered. Kei warewaretia
- Sergeant Johnnie Rogers - KIA 20 April 1943
- Lance-Corporal H. Ruha (MM) -DOW 27 March 1944
- Private E. Douglas - KIA 20 April 1943
- Private J. Douglas - KIA 20 April 1943
- Private WA Ratahi - KIA 20 April 1943
- Private W Takurua - D Company
- Sergeant Smith (DCM) - 23 Battalion
- Sergeant Manahi (DCM), recommended for VC
- Private Hinga Grant (MM)
- Private J Ingram - KIA 20 April 1943
- Private K. Aranui
- Private J. Takiwa - Wounded 20 April 1943
- Monty Wikiriwhi (DSO)
- Private Tepene Heka (MM) - A Company
- Corporal Burnett Neville Cook (MM) - A Company
- Hone Hapa Harawene - A Company, KIA 20 April 1943
- Kawiti Brown - A Company, KIA 21 April 1943
- Sonny Moore - B Company, KIA 20 April 1943
- Timi Pokai - KIA 20 April 1943, reinforcing C Coy at the time
- Tuterangikatipu Pioioi Rangiaho - KIA 20 April 1943
- Te Naawe Tupe - died 20 April 1943
- Tahae Trainor (MM)
Personal collection, courtesy of Abraham Karaka
No reproduction without permission