Extra information from Patara Tarawhiti's personnel file supplied by Hone Nuku Tarawhiti:
1. Full name: Private Patara Tarawhiti
2. Rank last held: Private
3. Forenames: Patara
4. Surname: Tarawhiti
5.. War: World War II 1939 - 1945
6. Next of Kin: Mrs. Hana Tarawhiti (Mother)
7. Regimental No: 26046
8. Iwi: Ngati Whawhakia
9. Gender: Male
11.Date of birth: 14 March 1910.
12.Place of birth: Puketapu, Huntly, New Zealand.
13. First known rank: Private.
14. Occupation before Enlistment: Mine Trucker
15. Martial Status: Single.
16. Enlistment Address: Huntly West, New Zealand.
17. Physical Description - Height: 5'9"
18. Enlistment Date: 15 May 1940.
19. Military District: Huntly.
20. Body of Embarkation:
Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force (2NZEF)
Nominal Roll No 3.
21. Embarkation Unit: D Company, 28th Maori Battalion.
22. Embarkation Date: 8 November 1940
23. Destination: England.
24. Other Units: D Company 28 Maori Bn
25. Campaigns: North Africa
26. Military Awards : 1939-45 Star
War Medal 1939 - 1945
New Zealand War Service Medal.
These medals were awarded and claimed by his mother in 1950
27. Discharge Date : Killed in Action
28. Last Unit served: 28 Maori Battalion.
29. Reason for Discharge: Killed in Action
30. Place of Death: Western Desert Campaign, El Alamein
31. Date of Death: 5 July 1942
32. Age of Death: 32
33. Year of Death: 1942
34. Cause of Death :
35 Cemetery Name: El Alamein War Cemetery
36. Biographical Notes:
- Patara Tarawhiti was adopted to George Tahau Ariki Tarawhiti
- Patara was married to a lady from Tauhei and had a son called Patara.
- Patara went AWOL in 1940 many times.This continued in1941 when he was overseas. He was on CB and loss of pay.
- Previous Military service 4th Mounted Rifles 1 Camp.
- Gratuity was given to his sister Tangi Berryman and George Tarawhiti
- His medals were issued and claimed by his mother in 1950.
- Patara is buried in the El Alamein War Cemetery VIII.J.5