"On 14 May 1948 the Minister of Defence F.J. Jones formally unveiled the Te Matai Native School Memorial Gates, to the south of Te Puke. Rev. Rangiaho conducted the service and read out the names of the fallen: T. Nicholls, M. Te Moni, M. Te Hui, O. Nicholls, T. Te Amo, K. Matia, Aponia Ahomiro, A. Ahomiro, A. Grey and H. Hetekia from the First World War, and J. Graham, C. Taupe, J. Richmond, Toko P. Naera and J. Karaka from the Second World War, along with the names of another 24 men who also served in the First World War and 32 who served in the Second World War.
The school is today known as Te Matai - Te Kura A-iwi O Tapuika." Reference: NZ History