Chants ‘Te Arawa e’, ‘Utaina’ and 'Toia' probably performed by the Taiporutu Maori Club from Ohinemutu on the second day of events at Uepohatu marae in 1947.
The events held at Uepohatu on the 12th and 13th of September included cultural competitions with local school children, a reunion of ex-service people (including members of the Maori Battalion), a concert and the opening of the Uepohatu War Memorial Hall. The hall was built to commemorate East Coast soldiers who died during the two World Wars.
At an investiture ceremony held on the second day, seventeen decorations were presented to servicemen and women who had served abroad and on the home front.
The gathering was an important one, attended by thousands including the Prime Minister Peter Fraser, the Leader of the Opposition Sidney Holland and other members of Parliament. Sir Bernard Freyberg, the Governor General opened the hall and unveiled two memorial tablets inside.
Sound file from Sound Archives Ngā Taonga Kōrero.(43115). Any re-use of this audio is a breach of copyright. To request a copy of the recording, contact Sound Archives Ngā Taonga Kōrero.
Image: Nga Taonga a Nga Tama Toa Trust